[at-l] Hennesy hammock, G4/ Mariposa pack on a thru questions

On May 29, 2005, at 5:44 PM, Kajsa van Overbeek wrote:

> 1. Would you recommend a hammock as a shelter on an AT
> thru? What I liked about my tent was the ability to
> drag all my stuff inside, rummage through it, sort it
> etc. Do you need some kind of extra "stay dry" sack
> for the gear that does not come into the hammock with
> you?

I've put in maybe 90 nights in a hammock on the AT.  I definitely
recommend it.

Yes, you need to figure out how to keep your other gear dry.  A
backpack cover that cinches all the way down works.  Or you can take a
durable trash bag to stick everything in.  I've done both.  Putting it
under the hammock will help keep it out of most weather.

> 2. I was considering the Ultralight backpacker Asym
> which is listed on the website as 1lb15. Does this
> include the weight of the fly I wonder, which is
> listed separately as 7.5 oz?

Yes, it includes the weight of the fly.

> They now offer the possibility of ordering a bigger
> hex fly instead weighing in at either 1.9 lbs costing
> $59 made of polyester (seems like an awful lot of
> weight to me..) or at 12 5/8 oz made of nylon at a
> hundred some bucks (seems like an awful lot of money
> to me).
> Is this worth it? It seems to me that having a dry
> place to cook in the rain is also worth something..

On my last trip, I took a larger fly with me and liked it very much.
It wasn't a hex fly, just a larger asym fly.   I'm considering
switching to the hex fly for more coverage.  During windy nights I
think the extra attachment points would be very helpful.  Spend the
extra 40 bucks and get the lighter one.  (At least I would..)

> 3. I am also considering to change my pack and heard
> an awful lot about the Mariposa and G4 type packs
> which use the insulating pad for back padding.
> Any experience with that and how does this pad work in
> a hammock?

I've used a variety of packs which require a pad for back padding.  I
like using a pad in the hammock.  It keeps me warm.  Other people hate
it.  You'll have to try it and see.

I've used flat foam pads, Zrest pads, and Thermarest pads in the
hammock.  My favorite is the Thermarest.  It actually makes the hammock
feel cushier.

> Also I am considering that I might want to stay at
> (and not just at but also in)a shelter form time to
> time. How comfortable is such a pad then? Could you
> set up the hammock "bivy"wise in the shelter to
> protect from rain and wind?

The hammock is quite large.  I don't think it would work well like
that.  First, it'd be all over the place with extra material.  Second,
the floor might be rough on it.  Third, the mesh would be on top and
hence not protecting you from the weather, really.   Or it'd be on the
bottom and be in danger of getting damaged.

Instead I have a "weather shield"  I got from Jacks'R'Better that I put
over my bag, and it makes a huge difference in bad weather, either in
the hammock or in a shelter.  I also carry a space blanket to put under
my pad in a shelter.  A lot of those floors have gaps and the air comes
right through, and having a space blanket or tarp helps with that.

One thing you didn't mention that you should be thinking about, is how
to stay warm in the hammock.  It's a serious issue.  I've found just a
pad to be insufficient.

-Joy