[at-l] Thru Hike Planning

In a message dated 5/22/2005 7:31:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gadog430@charter.net writes:

Hot Dog, paybacks are  he**.   <veg>

I guess what I meant to ask was  how did your day go? Did you pack and leave
in the morning and eat on the  way (as someone I know does)? Did you fix a
breakfast then pack and leave? Eat  a little then fix a breakfast later in the
morning? Did you eat lunch while  walking? I met someone at TDZ that fixes a
warm lunch almost everyday,  and ppl thought that was funny. What did you do in
the evening? Did you set up  camp immediately, or fix your place in the
shelter? Or did you make a little  dinner then worry about it?  Just curious about
how you put it all  together, but maybe that is only something you know by
doing. (notice how this  is mostly about food...hmmmm).

Sherpa  Dawg

**
Hmmmm...

After the first few weeks (where I made coffee in the morning), I only  cooked
at dinner time. I ate a couple breakfast or trail bars while I was still in
my
sleeping bag in the morning, then some string cheese as I was packing up.
I never rushed to hit the trail in the morning, or got up at 5 to get an
early start.

As I was hiking during the day, I tried to take a short sit down beak every
hour,
to rest a bit and eat something (I found I did better eating a little
something every
hour). Lunch, was a sit down, sprawl out affair, which usually consisted of
crackers
or some kind of chips, some kind of meat (summer sausage, slim jims,
pepperoni,
etc), and some  mild cheddar cheese. All day there was candy bars  & other
snacks
too.
Dinner, was simple almost always ramen noodles, meat, and cheese. I tried
other
combos but liked ramen best. To cut weight the first half of my hike, I
carried less food.
After losing 40 pounds by ATC, I rethought that & carried more food,  only
lost 10
pounds after that.

I was 47, with many aches & pains, I always rested while I ate meals,  and
when
I got to the shelter or camping area, I always set up camp & gathered  water
before
thinking of food (well.... 95% of the time). Eating was a social time at
shelters, a
relaxing time after chores were done. You just fall into a routine.

hotdog