[at-l] Thru Hike Planning

My planning in 1993 consisted mostly of using the data book and Wingfoot's guide book to calculate the mileage and possible resupply places between Amicalola State Park and Katahdin. I wanted to know the mileage I had walked and the mileage left to walk. Once I had that I looked for resupply every four to six 15-mile hiking days.

If there were a post office closer to the trail than a store Wingfoot had identified as a good resupply, I would prepare a package my wife could mail. If a good resupply store were closer, I would make notes on my printout to buy in town and where the store was located.

It no longer is necessary to do the mileage calculations. Wingfoot has done them and included them in his Thru-Hikers handbook. Wingfoot also has good resupply information, though I would cross check it with the Companion.

I think 4-6 days makes for a good resupply schedule, balancing off trail time with the need to make miles if one is to reach Katahdin with some comfort. However, I was flexible. If a store was on the trail, or even as much as a mile from the trail, I tended to stop, if only to buy a candy bar.

I never found meeting post office schedules a real problem. If a weekend was approaching I would either speed up or slow down so that I would arrive during open times. But I never was into big mileage days. I would look forward to an excuse for a few 10 mile days -- or a day off altogether on the trail.

My aim was to enjoy the trail experience while still ending on Katahdin. Passing every white blaze was never a priority. I'm not really a naturalist. I have as much trouble remembering the names of plants and trees as I do people's names. But one of my hike's goals was to at least tentatively identify every pretty flower I walked by. I did this mostly by knowing most of the common things, and by taking notes on things I did not recognize. Whenever I got to town I would use my notes to make identifications from books in libraries and stores, if possible. I took a lot of photos of really tough things and worked on them when I arrived home.

All I can say in defense of my planning is that I started on Springer, ended on Katahdin -- and had a great experience that I would love to do again -- and may.

Weary