[at-l] Policing the trail...

--- Jim Bullard <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> At 09:16 AM 5/19/2005 -0400, George (Tin Man) Andrews wrote:
> >This is a small thing but one of my personal responsibilities is to carry
> >a trash bag when hiking and picking up trash candy wrapers etc. as I hike.
> >That is one way I police the trail and have been doing that for over 30
> years.
>
> The Army term for picking up trash is "policing the area". Most soldiers
> regarded it as duty to be avoided but, like you, I still do it. I carry a
> 'trash bag' and pick up obvious trash when hiking and of course I
> thoroughly 'police' the area around the lean-to I maintain. If you see
> someone litter, just say 'Please don't litter. Everything you throw away,
> someone else has to carry out'. You might even offer them a small plastic
> 'trash bag' in case they forgot to bring their own.

I have sort of an old fashioned view on this.  In capsule form it goes
something like "respect labor."
Whatever you do anywhere changes the local environment.  If you do damage, it
will have to be fixed by someone or it will cause someone else to have to work
around it.  Most people do not work simply to pass time and really don't
appreciate having to do more just because someone is lazy or ignorant.

I was appalled to hear that maintainers are not allowed to use chainsaws in
some areas.  That is an example of complete disrespect for the labor and
laborers.
If you ever hear me say "respect labor" again, just leave because it's the
beginning of a rant.

JestBill  Ga--->Me '03