[at-l] Re: [backpackingwithchildren] 3.5 year olds pack list....

### Good, because inmy chaotic little world, I haven't had a
chance to comment. (And may not till Monday!) But! At three, my
boys were carrying their own toys, their flashlight, and a
snack. (They were both still small enough to fit into a bivy
with Mom or Dad.) At 4.5, they were carrying their own clothes
and toys and flashlight and water. And at age 6, they were
carrying their own equipment (now in a regular pack -- 2200ci
"Camper" from Tough Traveler), including clothes, bivy, bag, and
pad, and water and a snack, adding up to 10-12 pounds for their
45 pound body weight -- about 25% of their body weight. And
this, over the northern (and *tougher*) end of the Long Trail.

### FWIW, their pack weight has remained about the same as they
have grown -- even though it takes more to do the job, they
justify investments to lower the ounce per unit-utility. At ~90
pounds now, just past their 11th birthday, I am about to spend
$45/boy to lower their packweight another 1+ pound, which is
good AND necessary, because I have had to recruit them into
carrying food -- I just can't do it all anymore. So now we'll
have to talk about a pure "base" weight of ~10 pounds, and then
go up to include food and water carried. Hoo boy.

dadtoe
(some pick-a-tures at backpackingwithchildren under Sloetoe&Sons
Walking Co.)

> Message: 1
>    Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:00:19 -0000
>    From: "eacrouch2001" <erin@danno.tzo.com>
> Subject: Re: 3 1/2 year old gear list
>
> Your gearlist got lost.  Erin
>

> --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, Rod Lawlor
> <rod.lawlor@r...> wrote:
> > Okay, at the risk of looking like a dropkick, I'll post a
> gear list here.  I'd like it to be known thatt this is no way
> indicative of the organisation of the rest of my life, ....

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.