[at-l] Cell Phones, yet again - the 'rules'

I do not carry a cell phone myself.

Even on the relatively non-remote AT, cell phone
reception is not that great.

Why bring a piece of equipment that is of dubious
value?

Would you bring a stove if it worked only 1/3rd -1/2
the time?

Would you bring a sleeping bag if it only kept you
warm some of the time?

Would you bring a first aid kit (also for emergencies)
if the bandaids were in the package only part of the
time?

Would you bring a compass (arguably, also only for
emergencies on the AT) if it only pointed north part
of the time?

You get the idea. I wouldn't want to bring a piece of
equipment that may or may not work.

I'd be curious at to the ratio of experienced long
distance hikers bring phones to less experienced LD
Hikers. I'be more curious as to the reason of that
ratio.

Whatever choice you make, best of luck with your hike.

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com