[at-l] Re: history - was (no subject)

Greetings,

Just a couple of points on this thread.  It's been said that the outlets
for the Handbook are very limited, mainly through Dan's website.  While
the number of outlets may be limited, at least one large retailer, REI,
carries both the Handbook and the Companion.  Last time I checked, they
were out of the Companion and Data Book and had copies of the Handbook.
I don't have any idea what their sales were for each book.

>From what I've read here and on Whiteblaze, Dan puts out a good book.
The Companion is also a good guide.  Whether he has infringed upon the
Data Book copyright in its format (but not the data given him) is not a
concern for me.  My view is that there are parallel efforts to produce
AT trail guides.  One directly benefits ATC and one doesn't.  The
Companion is a collaborative body of work that will outlive any one
contributor, and the Handbook probably isn't.  When Dan decides to quit
producing the Handbook, I really can't see anyone else putting out a
competing guide to the Companion.

For me, it's not a difficult choice.

Take Care,

Tim