[at-l] history - was (no subject)

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

>JIM
>
>I never said you didn't know more than everyone on the list.

LOL!!!  I'll deny that - but I apparently DO know more about this particular
subject. Either that or the guy who knows more than I do hasn't shown up
yet.

>I was talking to TJ who has twisted what he posted yet again.

Actually - he didn't.  Unless I missed something major, he told it
straight-up-and on-the-rocks.

>Do you live in Maine?  I don't think so.  Please read my post.  It is
>pretty hard to mistake whom I was writing to and about.

I didn't mistake that at all.  But when Weary dragged out his "Whitewash
Wingy" campaign and then you capped it with:

>Neither Wingfoot, Wingy, or Mr. Bruce stole anything.

- it was time to bring some reality into this mess.  I have no interest in
fighting about it - just in setting the record straight.  For example, Roxy
claims that:

>Wingfoot sued over words that he wrote that were then used in the Companion
>after they had frozen him out of the process.

There are three separate errors in that one thought - first, the lawsuit was
not about the Companion at all, but rather the ATC thruhiker package
literature.   Second, Wingy wasn't "frozen out" - he left in a snit, leaving
the ATC high and dry.  And third, the lawsuit was over a 3 word sequence
that I've been told had been lifted directly from the Philosophers Guide
which Wingy had (IMO) wrongfully appropriated.  Legally, Wingy didn't have a
leg to stand on, but the ATC doesn't like negative publicity, so they
settled.   Do you think it's just coincidence that the ATC settlement was
exactly what he spent to start up Trailplace?  Well, maybe it is just
coincidence that the Trailplace startup happened just after the settlement.

Roxy should also note that Wingy was not "jerked around" at all - he's the
one who wanted to change the deal AFTER he had made the commitment to do the
job.  If he'd had any ethical standards at all, he'd have handed over the
Handbook to someone else at ATC.  As it had been handed over to him.
Instead, he took his ball and left.

Pardonnez moi, Clyde, but as long as we're here - again for Roxy who said:
>          Wingfoot contributed to Maret's 'Philosopher's Guide' from his
>first hike in 1985 up to Maret's leaving the publication. Each year Maret
>sent Wingfoot thanks telling him "you have single-handedly updated the
>'Philosopher's Guide'.

I'll betcha it was Wingy who told you that, wasn't it, Roxy?  But Wingy was
"ONE" name in a 3 page list of contributors to the 1990 PG - which, BTW,
included Walt Daniels and Leslie Booher - who are on at-l.  Wingy didn't
even rate inclusion in the "Special Thanks" section of the acknowledgements.

Finally, let's get this straight - I don't give a royal flying fart about
Wingy or what he did, is doing or will do in the future.  With the exception
of the Handbook, he's become a null factor as far as the trail world is
concerned. And given what I know about the Companion, I suspect even that's
not long for this world. I DO, however, give a damn when people trot out
this arrant "Whitewash Wingy" nonsense that insults, denigrates and does
disservice to people like Darrell Maret, who actually did the work that some
would claim for Wingy.  And Weary - and now Roxy - have done exactly that.
We've had this conversation before - telling me they don't know better would
be disingenuous at best.

Now - I'm too busy for this crap.  Among other things, I've got a thruhike
to get ready for.  360 bottles of beer on the wall!!
Walk softly,
Jim