[at-l] Re: at-l Credit vs. Cash and Buy vs. Mail (Victoria Roush)

In a message dated 4/11/2005 9:42:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

Buy the  book that best supports your hike. If you also want to support
someone or  something make a donation to that group also. Wingfoot's book is
available  from his web site. Do a google search on "Trailplace." It is the book
most  thru hikers carry because it is the  best.

Weary

**

"Best" is a funny word... Maybe more comprehensive is better.
Would I call it the best? No. Best makes it sound like it has "everything"
in it.
Would I call it a "very good" resource? Yes. I use it.
But it is still not always up to date (maybe it's better lately), and
missing data
I NEED.... Like which shelters have a privy... LOL! The ATC companipn has
this....

I cut pieces out of the data book, Companion AND Wingfoots
"Thru hikers handbook" & only carry the pieces from the section
I am hiking.
I used the data book most (for resupply miliage, and water in a wet  season).
Wingfoots water info is more detailed, and in general better in a dry  year.
Town info in Wingfoots book and the ATC Companion are similar, but at times
different (a few town maps in one but not the other). Hard to keep it all  up
to date each year.

Having said this, if I had to only bring ONE BOOK, I would bring Wingfoots,
and mark in the privy & shelter & other data it is missing.
YMMV.

hotdog AT 03