[at-l] Most Difficult Mile?

."...The people who are going to build away the Trail's wild
> surroundings are VERY organized...." as RnR accurately observes.

But so are the few of us who are working to protect the trail. It's not a lack of organization. It's a lack of commitment by trail "supporters" who are fond of talking, but not fond of giving. Our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust has had a couple of very genrous gifts from participants on this list and a few very important smaller gifts, which are also critical. We need evidence of broad-based hiker support to earn the credibility among those that can provide truly major donations.

We are in this for the long haul. My experience with a small town land trust makes me believe that our first project will be the hardest. Once that critical credibility is achieved, many tend to come around in my experience. I recognize that people have their own priorities. But at the moment, we truly need support. And if Maine seems too remote for you, give to your local trail groups.

It's easy, however, to help the Maine effort. Just open  http://www.matlt.org

You'll find addresses, and a convenient contribute on line button -- several in fact.

Weary