[at-l] mahoosuc notch

I don't believe I actually recommended the alternate route I
laid out. Having hiked the Maine AT several times in the
course of nearly three end-to-ends of the AT, I can vouch
for the fact that Maine only gets better the more one hikes
it. The difficulties really do seem to diminish as one's
psychology improves, bolstered in no small part from the
knowledge of what lies ahead, and the reality that any
challenge is, in the end, surmountable.

That said, there are plenty of good reasons that a hiker
might not wish to tackle various portions of the official
route. Injury, for one. Or illness. Or dangerous conditions
including but not limited to snow, ice, heavy rain, or
lightning. I wouldn't choose to hike through the Notch, or
points soon thereafter to the north, in highly adverse
conditions. I _could_ wait out such conditions, at least
assuming that I had the wherewithall to wait. Otherwise,
knowledge is power, and an awareness of alternate routes can
be useful.

I didn't present my alternate to Mahoosuc Notch with an eye
toward the poetry of the thru-hiker's experience. And I
don't profess to know what constitutes beauty and purpose
for another hiker.

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net