[at-l] rain test!

I took my new GoLite Helios jacket and G5 pack out in the rain today.
I have not seam-sealed the pack.  My usual method with the GoLite
Breeze was to not use a cover and protect the stuff inside with
silinylon stuff sacks or ziplocs.  This worked fine and I never got any
water buildup.  It was 45' and pouring rain with a bit of fog.

The pack leaked like a seive and built water up inside.  As a result,
I'm going to seam seal it as with an inside liner bag, I'm afraid I'd
be carrying a puddle around in the bottom under the plastic bag.

The helios jacket is fine.  It is not waterproof exactly, but it does
for me.  Total waterproofness leaves me soaked inside from sweat, so
what I'm really looking for is to keep my hair and top of my head dry
so I don't lose a massive amount of heat from a wet head.  It does that
and it kept my non-sweating parts dry too.  Water can run up the arms,
however, as the elastic at the wrists is not tight.  The jacket is
about 1/3 of the weight of my old rain jacket, so this is a ginormous
improvement.

I actually have another wee-tiny radio that I tested today, in addition
to the One World.  I'm happy with it.  It's a Lobeman (you can buy them
on internet for $15, just google it up).  It weighs 18 grams on my
kitchen scale.

-Astrogirl.