[at-l] Wildlife sightings this weekend

When I was on or near the AT this weekend, and saw a bobcat and a large wild boar.  I saw the bobcat Friday just after dark as it crossed the road near Wallace Gap, less than 100 ft. in front of the truck.  This was the first bobcoat I have ever seen.

I walked with Gutsy almost to Sassafras Gap Shelter, and on my way back to NOC I saw the wild boar.  This was Sat. about 5:30 p.m. near Grassy Gap, about 3 mi. north of NOC.  I heard a rustling in the leaves, turned and saw it uphill from me, about 200 ft. away.  It ran, snorting, about 10 feet to the top of a ridge, where it was silhouetted against the sky so I got a good view.  It was at least 2 feet tall, and the tail was about 6 inches long with a tuft of hair on the end.  As the boar crested the ridge, I saw movement about 100 ft. to the left of the boar.  An animal very similar to the bobcoat I saw the day before quickly moved over the ridge and out of view.  I wonder if it was stalking the pig.

I normally see very little wildlife so this was a treat!

Dan