[at-l] Re: Steve's recent AT-L post on the Four College Hikers Rescued in the Smokies, and their rescuer

Hey Steve - tx for the post and link to the story about the guys who did
the rescuing.  Hearing of this story brought back some great memories
from my winter storm experiences in the Smokies on my big AT hike back
in 2001 - even a specific memory or two about a stormy night in late
March at the nearby Russell Field Shelter, and then the infamous "eagle"
incident where our efforts to return some hiking poles to their owner
got me and my buddy Leif accused of trying to steal them!  Anyhow, for
those who want to join me in a visual trip down memory lane, check out
these individual pics from my backcountry.net 2001 AT hike photo album:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/ThruThinker-2001AT/adc

http://gallery.backcountry.net/ThruThinker-2001AT/add

http://gallery.backcountry.net/ThruThinker-2001AT/adj

http://gallery.backcountry.net/ThruThinker-2001AT/adk

http://gallery.backcountry.net/ThruThinker-2001AT/adm

http://gallery.backcountry.net/ThruThinker-2001AT/ado

And now for a few pics of the beautiful (but potentially dangerous)
resulsts of the same winter storm experienced by the guys down in the
Smokies - except Dave and I were up in the exposed Grayson Highlands,
which led to a short, but right wild day of hiking on Saturday, and a
beautiful, crisp, clear and sunny day of hiking back out on Sunday - it
was incredible how the weather would go from calm and partly cloudy, to
screming winds and whiteout conditions, and back again in a matter of
minutes.  It also blew my mind how we would walk along on windswept,
frozen ground for a few hundred yards, and then come around a corner and
be faced with two to five feet of snow for the next several quarter mile
where half the time we could walk gently and stay on top of a frozen
crust, and then suddenly posthole down two feet up to our thighs - and
then turn another corner and be back to the windswept terrain . . .
truly amazing.  I now know why snowshoes were invented - even a southern
boy needs them every now and then! :)  I also realized on this trip the
dilemma of having a very good down sleeping bag that is cut fairly snug
- I REALLY needed to sleep with my boots Saturday night, but decided
against it due to the lack of room inside my Feathered Friends down
bag.  The temps dropped to (my guess) around 10-15 degrees that night,
and since we did not have snowshoes, or even good gaiters, our boots
were soaked due to snow infiltration that then was melted by the heat of
our feet.  Sunday morning, I almost panicked when I tried to put my
boots on - they were frozen totally, and I mean totally solid; so were
Dave's.  We spent a long, painful and scary 30-plus minutes fighting to
crack our boots open and force our feet into them.  And, of course, once
in, our feet then were painfully cold for the next hour or more of
walking.  I knew better, but sometimes mother nature needs to remind us
of the importance of thinking ahead and very carefully planning for
severe winter conditions.  We had our own "mini-rescue" of sorts, as
there were three younger, poorly equipped hikers who showed up late at
the shelter - with their dog, no less.  Their only stove was an alcohol
stove (sorry you lightweight lovers, but that just does not cut the
mustard in a winter storm in the mountains!)  We ended up cooking supper
for them that night, and - lucky for them - the Thomas Knob Shelter has
two stories to it, so we let them sleep upstairs where there was more
protection from the wind and snow . . .  needless to say, if this had
been like the Smokies, where getting down off the highlands was not a
mere matter of four miles of walking, this could have been a serious
situation.

Anyhow - hope you enjoy the pics from our recent weekend winter hiking
adventure in the Grayson Highlands, and perhaps a lesson or two about
preparedness for winter camping and hiking..

http://gallery.backcountry.net/Thru-Thinkers-March-2005-Grayson-Highlands-Winter-Adventure!/aao

http://gallery.backcountry.net/Thru-Thinkers-March-2005-Grayson-Highlands-Winter-Adventure!/aas

http://gallery.backcountry.net/Thru-Thinkers-March-2005-Grayson-Highlands-Winter-Adventure!/aat

http://gallery.backcountry.net/Thru-Thinkers-March-2005-Grayson-Highlands-Winter-Adventure!/aau