[at-l] Re: Mountain Laurel Designs

At 10:32 AM 3/12/2005 -0500, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
>tinman@antigravitygear.com writes:
>
> > Did he slack-pack most of the way?
>
>Who Ward?
>
>I wouldn't think so, as far as I know he was old school.  From what I
>understand his hike was unsupported.  Perhaps a better trail historian
>than I knows
>the story.

Historian I am not. Prodigious reader is a more apt descriptive. Ward
Leonard shows up frequently in AT literature but I have never encountered
any details of his hikes, how he did them, when they were, etc. He's more
of a semi-mythic trail character who shows up abruptly, almost
frighteningly to some and then disappears down the trail just as abruptly.
He is reputed to hike fast and far. His manner is reported to be odd and a
bit confrontational. Does anyone know if he is still on the trail in recent
years? If I *were* a historian I could tell you when he was last mentioned
in a trail journal but I can only note that I don't remember him showing up
in the most recent memoirs that I have read.