[at-l] Re: Hiking Poles - which and why?

Steve, first of all, thanks for the post, I really appreciate it.  I have an REI single hiking pole that broke under "non use" conditions.  It worked fine one day, the next I couldn't tighten it.  I'm taking it back to REI by or before April 3 for a store credit.  Which means, I'll probably purchase something else that I think I 'need' at REI.  Well something I WANT more than need.  (And it may well be another pair of Chacos if I buy poles elsewhere.)

I hiked with TWO ski poles (non adjustible) that were too high for my silshelter, prior to obtaining a dog.  I now hike with a dog, usually two.  (Crockett is more of a 'day hiker' dog, Casey loves her pack and is good for 3 days of hiking, then has to have a down day to recuperate.)  I have always used a pole or two, liking my "too tall" mimosa pole the best as it's been on the most pre-ski pole hikes (mostly around the Coosa BackCountry Trail at Vogel State Park, North Georgia).

I'm seeing all kinds of pole today, from carbon fiber ski-style to carbon fiber ex-talls to carbon fiber adjustables.

So, which is the one that will suit my hiking style?  I need two poles for balance, creek crossings and the silshelter.  That limits my pole selection and, athough I am female and 60 years old, I haven't yet lost the extra baby-fat (no laughing).  Maybe I can figure a way to take two poles, wrap the tops together, fit it into the silshelter 'cap' and have an A-shaped front opening.  But I might have to put the poles outside the silshelter if they're too long, leaving an opening for RAIN at the Apex.

REI has some carbon fiber ski poles of 48 or 50 for $45 right now and lengths of 48 or 50 for $35.  (both approx 19 oz)  (so is that inches or what?)

What I'm learning is that I'll adjust to whatever I decide to use.  For THAT I thank all the AT-L responses.  Paradigm Shifts are a specialty of backpackers.  Too bad it doesn't work elsewhere in the world.

So, back to square one.  I need the poles.  Which do I buy and why.  I'm thinking AGAINST the 'anti-shock' and perhaps FOR a 'pin' type rather than twist type extender or perhaps a single length.  REI has some children's poles that MAY be long enough -- gotta check those out -- need to FEEL them in my hands.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.  Anyone know how much bamboo weighs?  I may just go cut a few limbs off a mimosa tree.

See you at Trail Days -- I'm coming on Wednesday to hike in from somewhere not too far from Damascus.

Retirement is in 6 years, 6 months.
Auntie Coosa and the Four Paws
http://auntiecoosa.blogspot.com