[at-l] Hiking Poles - which and why?

--- ken bennett <bennettk@wfu.edu> wrote:
> > I need a disertation on hiking poles and which is 'better' and why.

> 3. Easy locking system. THIS IS WORTH THE ENTIRE PRICE OF THE STICKS. Most
> sticks lock by tightening each section against the next. You have to tighten
> them really hard, and then they still loosen up over the course of the day,
> until you suddenly notice that your stick is mostly collapsed. For my wife
> and daughter, their hands aren't strong enough to lock the older sticks, and
> I have to do it for them (and they still loosen after a while). The new Leki
> locking system is TERRIFIC. Each section locks -- I mean really locks --
> long before it feels 'tight.' Easy to use, and solid. I have two
> long-weekend hikes on these sticks this year, and the poles haven't
> collapsed at all (versus collapsing about 10 times a day with the old
> sticks).

I've never used poles but may have to in the future.
  Just how often do you need to collapse them?
What I mean is could you wrap some duct tape around the joints to keep 'em in place?

There stands he, his Universe one huge Manger, filled with hay and thistles to be weighed against each other; and looks long-eared enough.
JestBill  Ga--->Me '03