[at-l] Hiking Poles - which and why?

I have never had LLBean hiking poles.

However, I had REI purchased Komperdell hiking pole.  I switched to Leki.
Why?  Service.

True, REI has great customer service.  However, they are few and far between
along the trail, itself.

IMHO -- one of the great advantages of Leki for long distant hiking is that
you can get them repaired at almost any outfitter.  Others brands normally
require mail in and wait.

I think it is important that you can take Leki brand name into nearly any
outfitter, you have a good chance of good service, no matter where you bought
them.  OTOH, I doubt if the local outfitter will be very helpful if they see
another brand.

Their on trail customer service is the best in the business.  BTW -- If you
attend Trail Days, they'll turn them up and fix any worn out parts for free.

Re: What type pole?

>From my observations, the folk who tend to like the spring loaded ones tend to
be the stronger hikers w/ good balance, who use the poles mostly as propulsion
aids.

OTHO -- Slower older hikers, like me, tend to be looking for stability and
balance aids; and, therefore, tend to like the un-sprung poles.

For what it is worth, when I crossed the Twins Mountains last year, it was all
I could do to stand with two trekking poles.  I could only move forward
between gusts.  When I got down to Galehead the weather box showed that, at
the time I was on top, they had 49 MPH sustained winds down at their level.
The Croo estimated that the sustained winds on top would have been in excess
of 60 mph.  I would have been on my hands and knees w/o the poles.

Chainsaw