[at-l] gear

I went to a Phil Oren Foot Fest in Rockville, MD today.  If you've never
been to one of these events, its hard to imagine the service these folks
extend: I was there nearly four hours.  It was held at a Hudson Trail
Outfitters in Rockville: what one of the sales clerks called, one of the
3 "super stores" in the DC area.  OK, it's big.  I traveled 40 minutes
to get there.  There were clerks from other stores there to help out.
There seemed to be about 6 expert crew, with Phil himself.  To begin, my
feet were intensely measured, sitting and standing.  And, they were
examined: each anomaly marked, every callous counted.  There were
questions about sweat, chill, and blister history.  Remarks about errant
fat-pads.  All the while the experts hovered: listening, explaining,
assuring.  It was thusly determined that inserts should I have, so I was
shuttled to the next station, where my feet dangled from a high chair
while the inserts were molded to my feet.

Then to the boot selection I went.  The mission: to fit two low volume
feet with narrow heels.  Tongue depressors were recommended.  (I
expected fat Popsicle sticks, but these devices were rubber pads to go
between the laces and the shoe tongues to make up for lack of foot
volume.)  Two styles were tried, but to each of these, finally, Phil
said no.  This is what the Foot Fest seems to really be all about:
Phil's consent.  And he projects wisdom and integrity.  Really, you can
feel it.  The third pair they selected for me were 4 pounds 10 oz
Montrail Moraines.  I did not anticipate buying boots, much less 4.6
pounds of them.  I really had a good pair of trail runners in mind.  But
I did not air my prejudices.  After all, I was there to follow expert
advice, and get what they thought would best serve an 8 week hike.  I
heard Phil mutter something to the clerk fitting me, which I presumed to
be a complaint about the selection I was not intended to hear.  I
believe there is a better lighter boot for me out there somewhere, but
it is not to be found at that store.  And though the boots are heavy,
they are really hansom sturdy boots: Italian made, vibram soles, crampon
ready,  leather lined.  I am about to bust with anticipation to get on
the trail and try these puppies OUT.  They have got to test well before
they go on my 8 week hike.  If they prove too stiff, too heavy, or
otherwise unsuitable, I'll have to find some glacier next winter to use
them on.

One of the surprising things about Phil's system is the tight fit.  I
thought I was a 10?.  I was fitted with size 9.  The custom fitting
involved beating and stretching over the arches according to Phil's
directions.  And, the heels were soaked in hot water, then chilled with
my feet in them to pinch the heels to conform to my anatomy.  A
remarkable adaptation.  (I think they will still take a break-in period.)

I also got a pair of trail runners.  They picked out some Salomon KA Pro
2 "adventure running" shoes.  I am expecting better from these than the
last Salomons I got that made blisters.  These also got the tongue
depressor volume compensation treatment.  They have Kevlar (of
bullet-proof vest fame) laces equipped with a "fast-fit", no-tie
contraption designed for triathlon speed-changing.  Well, it sounds
good, to a techno-junkie.  Really they are sweet.  But I only got one
pair of (superfeet) inserts.  At $86 it makes you say ouch, but they
don't hurt like blisters.  I'm thinking I should go back for another set.