[at-l] Opining on Campfires along the AT

On Mar 5, 2005, at 6:38 PM, "" <carol1944@brmemc.net> wrote:

> THAT'S WITH WIND CHILL included.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I was thinking zero not including
wind, which is cold enough on its own, but you add wind and it's
lifethreatening even for well prepared hikers.

> Wisdom from someone who got hypothermia once and doesn't backpack when
> the temps go below 35* at night.

I got nasty hypothermia my first long section hike, as nearly
everything I owned got soaked (with me in it) while I slept one night.
By the time I got to the next shelter the next day, I still had nothing
but wet stuff and was in a bad state.   I want to avoid ever having
that happen again, if I can.  I now have more clothes, more waterproof
gear, more gear, period, and possibly a little more common sense.

-amy