[at-l] Hike ended short after 13 miles

In a message dated 3/4/2005 11:58:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
athummingbird@dnet.net writes:

Talk  about determination.  I often wonder if he ever tried another  year.

I think it was Bill Bryson who wrote about people coming down from Springer
(on the Amicalola Approach) and quitting realizing that the AT was indeed a
tough hike.  For many who take day hikes it may not seem like much but the
accumulation of miles and the awareness that one is indeed in the wilderness
(notwithstanding that civilization is very close all along the trail until one
gets to the 100 mile wilderness) and there are creatures great (bear) and small
 (mice) and snakes and who knows what else.  For the first time hiker (and
there are some who do the AT without any hiking experience who complete it on a
 thru-hike) it can be daunting and scary.

Did anyone begin on March 1st?

Skylander