[at-l] Unreal Expectations

My reality check came when I hike the A.T. for the first time starting at Kitahdin.  Being from Miami, Florida; I exercised at sea level and on flat ground.  In short order:

1. Lost 27 lbs. in the first THREE weeks

2. Went on an emotional roller coaster... looking back, I now know that that is a normal response to rapid weight loss

3. Halfway through the 100-mile wilderness; only had "Ramon Noodles" to eat (salt and hiking do not go together)

4. Never though climbing little Huts Mountain could be so taxing...

But, the good news was:

By time I made it to the Presidential Mountain Range; I was nearly jogging with a full pack (after mailing back just about anything not even romotely affiliated with hiking) and was the only hiker to climb the north face of Mt. Washington by going to the end of the "Great Gulf Wilderness"

Want one more unreal expectation?

5. Never knew it would be so easy to get as fat as I was before I hiked the A.T. SOBO... all in less than six months.  Ouch!

On to the E.C.T.  Wahoo!!!!

Spanky
www.abovetheclouds.cc