[at-l] Hiking related health question

At 08:38 PM 3/1/2005 -0500, W F Thorneloe wrote:
>Now, this ought to be a wake up call about your need for abdominal
>strengthening and weight loss. You ain't getting younger, boy.

I already lost 30 pounds before this (got more to lose) and was up to 80
crunches, 40 hip extensions, assorted bar/dumbbell exercises and either 20
minutes on an elliptical machine with resistance or a 4 mile walk. Oh and I
forgot the leg and back stretches.

>However, this may not be the death knell of your hiking career. Assuming
>you have a well fitted pack that transfers weight to your pelvis
>(bypassing most of your spine), then you might find wearing a backpack a
>good way to exercise and support your back. Typically, I feel my best
>after a week or two of hiking, and my worst after a long drive - 2 hours
>or longer.

I've periodically had trouble with driving/riding ever since I had to stop
running due to knee problems. Stretching/walking around usually fixes it. I
can walk all day and the only problem is after I stop and sit for a while.
Again a short walkabout generally helps.