[at-l] Water filters vs. Tablets?

In a message dated 2/24/2005 11:57:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
thornel@attglobal.net writes:

And you  are pretty safe keeping your money in your wallet and drinking the
water.  There is no demonstration that any water treatment if effective in
preventing GI problems while hiking - or developing after a hike. There is
no demonstration that hygiene is or is not the more important preventative
procedure. There is a lot of money to be made in marketing water treatment
products.
**
I saw people on the AT using iodone, bleach, filters, Aqua Mira, and  nothing
at all.
No proof that one worked any better than any other. It's just what you  are
comfortable
using. I wasn't comfortable carrying a filter, or using iodine, so I used
Aqua Mira (I was
comfortable with the weight AND the taste).I never got  sick on my thru from
my water.
I had occasional problems from the crap food I ate, but not my water.
But I also had a bottle of purell on me ALL THE TIME, I cleaned my  hands ALL
THE TIME. I never shared food, or grabbed food from someones open  bag.

There is money to be made for all our phobias... Just buy what allows you
(mentally)
to get out and hike.

hotdog
AT 03