[at-l] Quotes on Risk and Daring

In a message dated 2/18/2005 10:50:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
janl2@mindspring.com writes:

Hey  brilliant and erudite list,

Do you have any pithy quotes on risk,  daring, stepping outside one's
comfort zone, taking considered chances,  etc., that you could share?
I need some by this  afternoon

I picked my Wayne W. Dyer book off the shelf: Wisdom of the Ages and he has a
chapter on Fear and Risk-Taking in which he quotes a poem by  Alfred Lord
Tennyson titled I Envy Not in any Moods.  It  goes:

        I envy not in any  moods
        The captive void of noble  rage,
        The linnet born within the  cage,
        That never knew the summer  woods:

        I envy not the beast that  takes
        His license in the field of  time,
        Unfetter'd by the sense of  crime,
        To whom a conscience never  wakes;

        Nor, what may count itself  as blest,
        The heart that never  plighted troth
        But stagnates in the weeds  of sloth,
        Nor any want-begotten  rest.

        I hold it true, what'er  befall;
        I feel it, when I sorrow  most;
        'Tis better to have loved  and lost
        Than never to have loved at  all.

After commenting on the poem, Dyer says: "In relationships you have not
failed if you have been through breakups or divorce in court.  You have  produced
a result.  It is better to jump in and experience life than to  stand on the
sidelines fearing that something might go wrong."

Perhaps Bartlett's quotations might have some quotes from Edison who took
one risk after another and said that each effort produced knowledge of what
didn't work and led him to find success in what did work.

Skylander