[at-l] Hayduke Trail and Grand Enchantment Trail

> I got that one on my short list that's getting longer.  I
> think the Hayduke
> Trail hooks up with the Arizona Trail, the Gila-Tortilla
> Trail (another newbie
> unofficial footpath) and the CDT to make a several
> thousand mile loop.

The Gila-Tortilla Trail is now called the Grand Enchantment
Trail. It runs from Phoenix AZ to Albuquerque NM, and along
the way connects the Arizona Trail and CDT. Possibilities
for a mega-loop hike still exist: AZT -> Hayduke Trail ->
CDT -> GET. I'm calling it the Great Southwest Circle.

This spring I'll seek to become the first and only person to
hike the GET as of yet, unless someone cares to join me.
Will be carrying a voice recorder and GPS, keeping mile by
mile notes for a forthcoming guidebook.

Grand Enchantment Trail: a 650 mile wilderness route
connecting the major metropolitan areas of Phoenix and
Albuquerque. This new trail, actually a route that consists
of existing trail, lightly used 4WD roads, and cross-country
travel, provides an exceptional degree of solitude over the
vast majority of its length, yet also offers convenient
access to resupply along the way. For thru-hikers, beginning
and ending a hike of the GET could not be any easier, as the
route literally terminates in the aforementioned cities,
both of which have international airports and ready access
to taxi service from/to the trailheads. Despite this air of
cosmopolitan ease, the trail itself is challenging and
remote, although physically easier than the AT. It passes
through nearly a dozen officially designated wilderness
areas in two states, traveling a surprisingly well-watered
route that encompasses three desert types, several mountain
ranges approaching 11,000 feet ASL, and a network of
riparian zones which connect these communities - including
the Gila River and Rio Grande. Wildlife is abundant, and
includes such less common species as the gila monster,
javelina, coatimundi, ringtail cat, elegant trogan, bighorn
sheep, Mexican grey wolf, whooping crane, Coues whitetail
deer, and desert pronghorn.

A forthcoming guidebook will describe the route at a level
of detail similar to the A.T. guides, although with a
greater emphasis on navigation and locating water than on
services and interpretation. A series of maps, made possible
with the assistance of National Geographic, will also be
available, all of this probably by late summer '05. More
info will be forthcoming at the website below.

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net