[at-l] Clothing

Matt,

Reference your questions, 2-15-05, which are primarily of two types:

?(S)ome input on what people have liked or disliked for their hiking
clothes.?

Some people like manmade garments - fleece, hollofil - while others prefer
natural materials - wool, down.  Some people are very concerned with wicking
and ventilation, while others are more concerned with the degree of quick
warmth.  Some people are concerned with getting wet, others not as much.
Different people have different bodies having different needs.  And, we hike
in different environments which place differing demands upon our clothes and
equipment.

?Different brands seem to vary so much in price, I wonder if some clothing
was really worth it.?

I have been hiking a while.

Initially, eager to begin, I bought whatever would get me started outside.

>From this experience, I learned I really liked hiking and bought
replacements which provided more comfort.

I then developed an illness.  I began to believe I do, and will always, love
hiking.  My illness became chronic.  I became older and bought replacements
which are lighter in weight.

After I bought my initial equipment, I bought quality stuff.  My approach
was, my life may come to depend upon my equipment performing well, not
failing.  My buying technique was don?t buy junk, just because you can get
it now.  I already had what I needed to hike, I was merely improving upon
it.  I would save and wait until I could afford the best I wanted.

Your question has no single answer in time.  Buy what you can afford which
makes sense to you.  Learn from your mistakes and successes.   Adapt.

All we do is walk.  Don?t worry too much.

Steve

P.S.  I have closets, a small trailer, and a section of a storage shed
containing hiking gear.