[at-l] 2005 thru-hike soapbox...

This is *absolutely* THE best advice I've *ever* heard for all thru-hikers
everywhere.  I'm not having any problem avoiding too much pre-planning for my
PCT thru-hike <<cheeky grin>>, but I only wish I had heeded this advice before
my AT thru-hike last year.  Actually, I did heed it, and I knew it all along as
I was hiking, but the peer pressure was still the single absolute most
difficult part of my hike.  I kept saying that the hardest part of my hike was other
people:  other people going faster than me, other people judging my gear or
mileage choices, other people talking smack about people hiking different kinds
of hikes than theirs...

The peer pressure was harder than the dirt, harder than the mountains, harder
than the walking, harder than the stink, harder than the food, harder than
everything.  I just wished, a lot of times, that I could be really, truly
*alone* out there, because only then would I know what my "own hike" was, my "own
hike" that I kept trying to hike.

The people who had pissing contests with others about gear or mileage were
hard to deal with, but harder still to deal with were the people I kept losing,
the people who kept zooming on ahead as I determinedly stuck to what I
considered the mileage that was right for me.  But I really didn't know.  How much
did I really want to hike a day?  How much was the right amount?  Was I going
too slow or too fast?  Should I stop now or later?  Your decisions are
simplified on the trail, but they're just as difficult.

Anyway, just some thoughts on Pittsburgh's so-called rant.  If only all of us
could learn this in any part of life, not just the microcosm of life that is
the trail--how to let others be and let ourselves be.

My two marzipan cents--
Marzipan
AT04