[at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 22, Issue 6

Responding to two issues:

1) Peeing in the night:  I suspect it has to do with
your pattern of fluid consumption at home compared to
in the woods.  The other possibility is that you are
not sleeping very well when camping and therefore are
more likely to wake up and start worrying about
needing to pee.  (Sorry if this is a serious answer to
a facetious question.)

2) What to take day hiking:  As I was stepping out of
the woods at Winding Stair Gap yesterday a policeman
pulled up and rolled down his window.  He had a
picture of a woman from Franklin who had left her home
at 10:30 yesterday morning and had not returned by
5:30 in the evening.  She has medical problems and her
family was worried.

I had actually given the "what to carry" question more
thought than usual because it was supposed to be near
70 during the day, but get down to 20 at night.  So in
spite of knowing it was sunny, with no chance of rain,
and that I would most likely be wearing just shirt and
tights while I walked, I toted along a lightweight
fleece, light wool sweater, shell, neck gaiter,
gloves, and hat.  Plus the usual (for me): liter of
water, a couple of energy bars, headlamp, tiny LED
light, knife, whistle, compass, map, matches, two
Esbit tablets...  My husband also knew my intended
route and approximate arrival time at Winding Stair--a
good thing, since he was picking me up. ;-)

Didn't seem like a big deal until getting the sobering
reminder from the policeman.  The missing woman's
family had no idea of her route and now that it was
about to get dark and the temperature was really
dropping, they were worried.  I haven't heard whether
she was found.

Marta