[at-hikers] Re: [at-l] PA Ruck

P.S. My pack weight is now 24.28 pounds. And that's with 2 quarts of water
and 7 days of food. I must surely be forgetting SOMETHING!

A scale?

Assuming you're carrying 2 lbs of food per day, your base weight would only
be 6.28 lbs!

Gotta gear list?

Sly
I'll put up a gear list later today, but the food isn't two pounds per day.
I dehydrate home-cooked food, and it *seriously* shrinks in weight. For
instance: a supper of black beans, brown rice and sausage weighs 7.2 oz.,
but it blows up to 25 oz. when re-hydrated. It's the big meal of the day,
but it's an awful lot and may be something I shrink. One reason for my
upcoming hike is to test everything. The 2-poiund rule should be more of a
X-calories rule, which changes by how long you're out there. It also changes
in composition. The first week and the tenth week don't look anything alike.

I've also been working for quite awhile at getting the light/warm combo
together. My base weight is 15.11 pounds, but I hope to improve that as time
goes by. That doesn't include food, water, water bottles, alcohol or alcohol
bottle. Last year when I left Springer, I had a 45 pound pack on with enough
food to get to Neel's Gap. I decided to never do that again, and have been
working on that ever since. The 3.5 pound pack and 1.5 pound sleeping bag
are the two biggest helps, but the multi-use mantra has a great deal to do
with it as well.

The funny thing is, on some I subscribe to my pack is considered way too
heavy. Also, clothing worn or carried wasn't included in that number, so I
guess I'm considered to be cheating. The skin-out number is 29.83 pounds.
I'm adding a little more food to get to 4 meals per day, and will post my
list this afternoon before I leave for a nice little week-long. I'm going on
a number of those between now and april to make certain that I don't have
problems in GSMNP or The Whites.

:-)
Frank

P.S. I got my digital scale at Office Max for 30 bucks. 5 pounds by the 1/10
oz., or 2.2 kilos by the gram. It's quite habit-forming (Hmm, I wonder what
this weighs...).