[at-l] Spring hike.

Tom Fort wrote:
> Just pre-planning stage here .... I need a spring hike.  Late march or
> april.  At least a week. (7 days)  I'd probably want to wait until the
> new season thruhikers pass by.    My question, is, how long does it take
> to hike the AT in NoGa?  What about the AT from Ga state line to
> Fontana?  I'm a lazy hiker, btw.
>
> Thanks, ya'll!
>
> T.

The issue here is how lazy ;)

Amicalola Falls to Dicks Creek Gap is 77 miles - so do you want to do
10, or 15 mile days? This is a stretch for 1 week of 10 mile days. BTW,
this is a great hike, with a variety of terrain and views and Blood Mt
and Walasa-Yi center for resupply.

Similarly, from Dicks Creek gap to Fontana is 93 miles - with some major
ups. That's 13 miles per day for 7 days. It all depends on what you mean
by lazy. Going Dicks Creek Gap to Wesser would cut that down to 68. The
upper Nantahalas are beautiful, and you could break at Rainbow Springs
or Franklin. You get several firetowers to climb.

If you are in winter shape, even 10 mile days may be painful.

In neither case will the thru hikers be clear in late March or early
April. The shelters are apt to be crowded.

Hope this helps - Greenbriar