[at-l] The "Grits" Debate. Instant!

Hominy is made by soaking shell corn in lye.  This remove s
the outer layer of the kernal, leaving the starchy center
exposed (the white part of popped pop corn).  After many
washings it is cooked and served with ?  It has absolutely no
taste what so ever.  Dry hominy and grind it and one gets
hominy grits.  Most grits are just coarsely ground corn and
hence are called grits.  The best of the latter can be
obtained from Guilford Mills in Greensboro NC.  Honimy grits,
like many other southern foods are fast disappearing.  I like
hominy grits with sorghun.  Difficult to find either.  Grits,
on the other hand deserve salt and butter.

Grey Owl