[at-l] Cell Phones -- Perception

In a message dated 1/17/05 12:03:34 Eastern Standard Time,
rickboudrie@hotmail.com writes:

> I don't get irritated much anymore, but I do like a feeling of isolation in
> the woods.
>
> I think my gray tent stands a much better chance of going unseen than a
> bright yellow one, BTW.  To my way of thinking that is a good thing.  For me
> and for others.

Isolation on the Appalachian Trail is a difficult achievement.  Especially in
Spring, Summer and Fall.  There are many who hike and camp along the 2000
mile stretch from Springer to Katahdin.  However, it is possible to get very
isolated while marching north (or south) if socialization is not the goal or
wanted byproduct.  Walk 1/4 of a mile off the trail to camp for the night.  It is
like being in another world.  Quiet?  Well, it is unless one is downwind from a
shelter where voices will carry.  It is one way of finding true solitude.  As
for me, while I do enjoy solitude (I do like my own company) there is a
benefit that comes from being in a shelter area.  People from different parts of
the world with many experience levels and stories to tell, enrich the
experience.  The Shelter is one camping place on the trail where one does not feel as if
he (she) is intruding on others.  In a non-shelter area where people camp
along the trail there is a feeling (on my part) that they are camping to avoid
interaction with others.  Of course, inquiry and introduction can be made to
determine the mood of the camp.  At a shelter it is assumed that everyone is
there (and others are welcome) to socialize to some extent.

Skylander