[at-l] Does anybody have an URSACK for sale?

On 1/12/05 7:19 AM, "W F Thorneloe" <thornel@attglobal.net> wrote:

> I wasn't aware that mice could get around the cables, funnels and such.
> I've not had that experience. That makes the commonly wisdom of strings
> protected by empty tuna cans seem really lame.

Well, yeah, they are pretty lame. In Georgia in 2003, we used the bear
cables at every shelter that had them. Mice got into our food at all but one
shelter (using a regular nylon stuff sack). It took me a while to notice
that the bear cables didn't really have anything designed to stop mice from
simply climbing the cable and waltzing out to my food bag.

In North Carolina in 2004 (Fontana > Deep Gap), we used a pair of Ursacks.
Sometimes I hung them from the bear cables, other times from the
string-and-tuna-can contraption, depending on what was available at each
shelter. I did use the odor-proof liner bag that came with the Ursack.
Nobody got into our food, which was a nice change.

Now, the (little tiny) left-brained scientist part of me says that this was
not a controlled test. We should have hung some food in a nylon stuff sack
next to the Ursacks to see if the Ursacks really worked. But I have been
brutally suppressing my left brain for years, so I feel comfortable ignoring
it and convincing myself that the Ursacks really do keep the little critters
out of my food.

So I sleep better at night, and that's worth the extra few ounces.

Cheers,

Ken