[at-l] Waves

This morning, the topic at Sunday School was "hospitality," speaking of
Jesus's cohorting with the taxpayers and the righteous being offended by that.  It
seemed a perfect time to bring up AT hikers, a subject that could be delicate
because practically all the people in the congregation had some portion of
their land "gently removed" from their family's ownership for the AT.

I told that already there were some who had begun their journey north and
that, for most, it turned into a spiritual walk whether it was meant to be or
not.  I told them that the odor may be horrific but that the hearts are warm,
sweet, and appreciative of any hospitality offered.

I told them that I had even considered offering to pick up those who wanted
to go to church if they were passing nearby on a Sunday, even though, of
course, the odor might be ghastly.  :-)  [One of the members works at Mt. Rogers
headquarters and had told me that Partnership's shower was for this very reason.
hahaha]

It was a big pep-talk, the first time I'd ever voiced anything to the group.
I couldn't think of any incident of anyone being murdered because they gave
an AT hiker a ride.  I mentioned other Methodist churches along the way that
even have provided a hostel and special meals.  Man, I laid it on thick.

Then I ended, asking them to at least smile and wave when they drive past an
AT hiker.  And always clean water is appreciated, even with all the water
available by the Holston forks.

Well, there were no gasps.  As I was walking out, one of the gentlemen
stopped to tell me with a dreamy look in his eyes that the AT used to go right past
Elizabeth Church.  Since they never lock the doors to the sanctuary, some
hikers had entered and left notes behind, thanking them.

I am now secure in the notion that you are welcomed in this post-Mt. Rogers
area, really welcomed and appreciated.

Kinnickinic