[at-l] Re Timeframes and Journals and Such

Jim:

      Many thanks for your response -- with which I don't actually disagree.  A
couple of others have already expressed similar sentiments to me off-list.  I
haven't actually made a final decision on which way to go yet, so I appreciate
your input.

      On the one hand, there's the whole back to nature/take only the technology
in your wicking BVDs approach, and then there's that unfortunate thing with my
handwriting.  I'm not a real doctor (I only play one on TV...), but I write
about as well as they write prescriptions.  Then there's that weight thing.  If
I'm going to be serious about a journal, I can't afford to be limited to one or
two sheets a day, and it won't take much paper to add up to the weight of the
pocket email device.  Not to mention the additional weight of a pencil
sharpener, lots of pencils and extra erasers.  Did I menshun I cudn't speel vera
well, either?  (backspace, backspace, backspace -- typo is GONE!)   Couldn't do
THAT with a ball point pen.  Decisions, decisions.  My head swimmith.

      I'll let you know where I come out and, again, I appreciate your interest.
It means a lot.

warm regards, L

                      Jim Bullard
                      <jbullar1@twcny.r        To:       Rcalkins@worldbank.org, Leslie Booher <lbooher@pure.net>
                      r.com>                   cc:       at-l@backcountry.net, at-l-bounces@backcountry.net, gypsy97@bellsouth.net,
                                                vavet1963@msn.com
                      01/09/2005 12:41         Subject:  Re: [at-l] Re Timeframes and Journals and Such
                      PM

At 12:13 PM 1/9/2005 -0500, Rcalkins@worldbank.org wrote:
>Point is, things keep changing.   If I'm
>going to invest a lot of time and energy and thought in a journal, one
>that I'd
>like to share not just now, as it's happening, but for all time, how am I
>going
>to do that?   Best I can figure, print it out.  Several copies - the odds are
>better that way.  Acid free paper is good.  But even CDs -- remember those
>five
>inch "floppys" we used to store stuff on?  Remember those Betamax tapes....
>Paper.  That's the thing.  Great invention paper.

Well, you've already invested in the electrical do-dads and I'm sure a lot
of folks here will think I'm just being a techno-cretan (please temper that
thought by remembering that in my pre-retirement days I did work as a
network admin) here's my advice: Get small journals from
http://www.riteintherain.com/ and write your journal the old fashioned way.
There's something special about a journal you can hold in your hands, that
doesn't need batteries and is in your own handwriting, revealing how you
felt at the time by the slant of the letters and complete with stains from
food bits, squashed mosquitos or even your own tears. You can always type
it into a computer later.