[at-l] OT - Soil From The Ground Up

Before you wear yourself down, get science on your side.
This page I found with a google on: <North Carolina Agricultural Agent
soil testing>
http://www.uncw.edu/arboretum/Soiltesting.htm
Get something for your taxes.

If you've got sand, grow peanuts.  Fresh green peanuts cooked like Lima
beans are wonderful.
I grew them in red VA clay, but your nice sandy NC soil is what they like.

If tomatoes are your penchant, maybe try some heirloom seeds.
There was a program on NPR mentioning a failed attempt to grow "ugly"
tomatoes in Florida.
I guess GoVols expensive tomatoes are all too cute.
Here are a couple seed pages I've collected:
http://www.tanagersongfarm.com/heirloom_seeds.html
http://www.seedsofchange.com/
http://www.greenpatchseeds.com.au/legumes.html
That last one you need to get your organic compositing into high gear.