From: "Pooja Blue" <poojathebearchaser@hotmail.com>
To: <AT-L@Backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Financing trips

>          If you can write us a report describing the low season
>mid-Atlantic
>gloom it would be interesting to read...

Hm...  I didn't find it very gloomy.  The terrain looked pretty much as it
did when I started mid March in Georgia, just dirt and dead trees (and
branches that came down on your head when you tried to bearbag your food).
The trails were empty except for some hunters.  The day after Thanksgiving
was pretty scary, lots of gunfire.  Aside from that I loved the solitude.
The cold didn't bother me as long as I kept moving but I finally did trade
up my sleeping bag for one rated down to -20F.  It meant two more pounds in
my pack but I definitely slept better.  The coldest night I had on the trail
was at Stratton Pond where I woke up and it was 7F.  Seven!  That's a
child's age, not a temperature (and arctic to a southern Californian).  My
contact lenses were frozen in the case and my shoes were two solid bricks of
ice.  It took about an hour of massaging the uppers before I could loosen
the laces enough and get my feet into them, then I clunk, clunk, clunked
down the trail until they thawed, LOL.  Kinda silly.  Hike and learn...

Pooja
GA -> PA <- ME '04

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before
them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. "
-- Thucydides