[at-l] New Reservation System at Katahdin

Sorry but the argument that a few people's bad attitude justifies bad
public policy doesn't cut it for me. That's the same illogic that justifies
the 'all people on welfare are just lazy' and the famous Reagan quote that
'homeless people have homes to go to but find it easier to eat in soup
kitchens'. I don't buy into the public servants stereotypes anymore than I
do the welfare ones or the disabled ones. I *was* a public servant for 30
years and know the difficulties of doing things in a way that pleases
everyone involved.

FWIW in one of the offices I supervised I had an employee who was
wheelchair bound and constantly complaining about access at the workplace.
Occasionally he had a genuine point and I did my best  but getting things
fixed was never instantaneous. Getting contractors often means waiting your
turn (they have other customers who need things done yesterday too) and
sometimes he wanted changes to things that already met the requirements of
the law (makes it real hard to justify to bean counters who control the
money). Again I did my best but he was still unhappy with me when I retired
because I simply could not give him everything he wanted.

The same was true of the non-disabled employees BTW. We had moved from a
larger space that was all ours to a smaller one that we shared with other
agencies. It was all in accord with the space requirements but nobody was
happy and nothing I could do was about to make them happy. I wound up in
the hospital with stress attacks trying to keep them all happy and/or
motivate a bunch of unhappy people to do their jobs instead of sitting like
lumps with their lower lips hanging out. I ended up making myself happy by
retiring. The disabled employee also retired (on my advice) shortly after I
did and the last I knew the rest were still unhappy.

In my experience most businesses and public places were willing to make a
good faith effort to provide access and the best weapon against those who
were not was not a more stringent law or over-the-top enforcement (they
were ignoring law already) but to make it a media issue and publicly
embarrass them. Public or private, they are all sensitive to dents in their
public image.