[at-l] New Reservation System at Katahdin

Sure, but how can you take candy from the mouth of a
screaming baby? This is not a lamentation; it's an admission
of where we are as a society and body politic. The handicap
access issue is merely a tangent. In fact, we've been spoon
fed for so long that the freedom to walk places - for free -
is seen as a taking away of some innate liberty, rather than
an expression of one.

- bf

>>> From the beginning of time, only the strong and the fit
>>> have been able to sojourn in the wilds. The great
>>> explorers didn't bring along wheelchairs, or those who
>>> required wheelchairs. Wisely, the Appalachian Trail is
>>> not required to be accessible by wheelchairs. Nor should
>>> a "forever wild" park. Nor Katahdin. Nor our town land
>>> trust lands, for that matter.

I sympathize with those who for physical reasons -- or
sloth -- cannot climb the Greatest Mountain. I recognize
that we all reach at some point in our lives the inability
to experience wildness first hand. But such is the nature of
wildness. Were wildness easy to achieve, it would have no
value.

Weary