[at-l] radioactivity

>>recall giving a dime and seeing the Geiger counter
>>demonstrate that the old
>>silver dimes sitting in our pockets had
radioactivity.

In my Thanksgiving jaunt to Utah, noticed this pretty,
yellow mineral all over the ground. Very nice to look
at. Shiny, and had an almiost glass-like surface.

It was uranium.****

At least I don't need  a headlamp at night. :-)

Mags

***Utah of course had some of the largest uranium
operations in the world, esp. back in the 50s. Most
people now know Moab, Utah has a "colony of Colorado"
with its coffee shops, brew pubs and mountain biking.
It used to be a rough and tough uranium mining town.

http://www.onlineutah.com/uraniumhistory.shtml

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com