[at-l] New Hydrogen Process (OT)

As much as I hate to agree with Bryan, no energy source (or almost any
manufacturing for that matter) is without pollutants, whether particulate,
noise, visual or whatever. I love the irony of advocates' of electric cars
claims that they are totally non-polluting. Yeah, right. They don't pollute
in the city where they are used to run around town but what about out where
the electricity is generated? It just transfers the pollution from the city
to the country. Even hydro and wind power aren't without environmental cost
and solar just isn't there yet (if it ever will be).

To get back to the article I posted, the pebble bed technology seems (to my
non-engineer reasoning) to present a safer alternative than the current
fuel rod plants. Storage of spent balls on-site is preferable to shipping
dangerous materials across country. A technology that is not prone to
catastrophic meltdown is preferable to one that is. It's not the perfect
no-cost-to-the-environment solution we'd all like to find but it is better
than building more Three Mile Islands.

Ideally we would reduce our consumption and conserve while we explore
alternatives but that doesn't seem to sell very well in 'I want it all and
I want it now' America. Unfortunately we have to deal with reality.