[at-l] New Hydrogen Process (OT)

In a message dated 11/28/2004 11:27:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:
*
*
*
BTW here is a URL for an interesting nuclear energy article
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/china.html> that you won't have
to sign up to read. Apparently nuclear can be safe using technology that
the US chose to overlook in our rush to big solutions. I no longer count a
nuclear engineer among my frequent personal contacts but it appears to be
feasible to my non-expert eye and, although he wasn't a fan of nuclear
energy, E.F. Schumacher might have approved the "small" scale of this
approach.
*
*
*
            The article strikes me as a theoretical economics, business-sided
promotion of nuclear power. It gives one line to the waste disposal problem -
"and the balls can then be stored in a lead-lined container on the premises."
Sort of like "Thalidomide, available in easily-swallowed capsules." Nowhere
does the article mention the huge amounts of waste that will accumulate from
this new surge in nuclear power development. It's a sprawl brochure.

      Ironic that the American engineer who originally conceived this type of
nuclear reactor was ignored and then went on to support solar power - which
is now being ignored as well.

          Nothing in there at all about the environmental impact of using
industry to convert China. I often wonder if some forces see communization of the
masses on the public level as OK as long as a controlling aloof business
class enjoys a separate free system. An ideal China is moving towards from one
side and the west the other. Sounds like a great subject for a movie...

*