[at-l] Maps - Negative stress on the trail.

On my recent hike, there was a relocation of 9 miles, adding 4 miles, to my
day last Sunday (I think it was). This was the Elk River Relo. I saw maps
of it on shelter walls and Bob Peoples had informed me that it would
actually make the walk easier. An additional 4 miles doesn't sound easier,
until you realize that it went by the biggest waterfall along the AT, had
better water, had no road walks and took me on a tour of the hurricane
flash flood damage.

What was really neat was learning that I really had no clue where the heck
I was, even using the official AT map and looking at the shelter maps. It
got me into "following the white blazes" - that little mantra that you hear
that sounds so simple. I let me walk without stopping and consulting map or
guides. I found it even more helpful to consult the level of daylight to
determine where I'd stay the night (Laurel Forks) once I figured my watch
was wrong. The combination of SNAFU's added to the trail experience.

I am another of those who really looks at the maps for the profiles. I use
the guides or local signs to let me calibrate my altimeter and then have a
reasonable idea of where I am along the day's walk. This was very helpful
on the Humps when I couldn't see 100 yards usually.

But I found that I got more walking done when I kept walking, rather than
stopping to consult the maps and the guides.

OrangeBug