[at-l] Re: at-l hiking

In a message dated 11/23/04 16:50:30 Eastern Standard Time, C7eca@aol.com
writes:

> Colin Fletcher wrote Walking Through Time.  I never much cared for the
> outdoors 'til I read his stuff and found out you didn't have to be an
> insufferable,
> macho, competitive &

Last night I read the last pages of the book A Walk Through Time by Colin
Fletcher and it was the second time I had read it.  The first time (back in the
1970s) I was impressed but this time I read it slowly and learned some things.
I like his description of Geological Time and his observation of Biology.  I
also liked his Anthropological insight and his "getting into the skin" of
those who came before.

He was fortunate for he was able to do his walk in a time when restrictions
were less than today.  Air drops of sustenance, walking in areas not available
today, and having a mentor who had explored the Canyon earlier and offered
useful advice, were all helpful to him.

Colin Fletcher is an author who offers insight to backpackers over and over
again.  Some things he writes about are now out of date but his ideas about
conservation inspire me.

Skylander