[at-l] Negative stress on the trail...

At 01:51 PM 11/23/2004 -0500, Felix wrote:
>Shane wrote:
>
>>>what really drives you insane and interferes with your hike mentally?
>>>
>>Other people.
>>
>>It's a greater stress as a day hiker for me, because time is short and I
>>don't have time to deal in pleasantries.
>
>Hmmm, funny thing...I wrote a story for the ATN about this very thing and
>found out it made me an 'elitist' and 'sarcastic and nasty' and without a
>'sense of humor'. Who'da thunk...

I knew a guy once (well, we were acquainted through a mutual friend. I
mostly avoided him 'cuz he was a little strange IMHO) who considered
himself a real hot shot hiker. He told me once that when he heard someone
else coming up the trail, he'd hide in the woods until they passed so they
wouldn't spoil his hike by talking to him. ???????? Uh huh.

Those letter writers in ATN seemed to think that whenever we are out on the
trail we should be ambassadors, bubbling with enthusiasm and actively
recruiting new enthusiasts. Although I don't go to the extreme that the
acquaintance above did, I go to the woods for a bit of solitude. Aside from
the fact that I'm not a bubbly type person anyway I don't (usually) go
hiking to be with a bunch of other people and if I meet other people I will
be polite but I'm not going to act like those letter writers seem to think
I/we should. You didn't do anything wrong. This is definitely a case of
'hike your own hike'. Don't let their opinion bug you Felix. It's just
their opinion and as Jim O is fond of saying "free advice is worth what you
paid for it". In this case I think it's worth less than you paid for it.

And I agree with Shane that day hiking is more stressful. If I'm out for
even an overnight, I'm ready for a stay in the woods and if I don't go as
far as planned in a day or the weather turns bad, I'm prepared. On a day
hike I know enough to survive an unplanned night (or several) in the woods
but it wouldn't be as comfortable as I'd prefer and it is on my mind all
day that I have to stick to my schedule because I don't have my sleeping
bag, hammock, etc.