[at-l] Gasp! I took a hike!

Today I went on an overdue hike. Just a short one, 5.6 miles. I intended to
go farther but got a late start so I had to change my destination to a
closer one in order to get out before dark. I could have managed the longer
one were I not prone to take so many photos (over 100 today) but I really
enjoy taking photos as I see more that way than if I'm just trying to get
in miles.

I drove to South Meadow and hiked in the old truck road trail to Marcy Dam
in the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks. Only one party of 3 was ahead of
me today in the register. I ended up meeting them as they were coming out.
They were the only people I saw all day. Except for the occasional
chickadee the woods were dead still. There wasn't even any wind blowing
through the trees until I got almost to Marcy Dam.

The trail caved in under my feet in several places, dropping a half inch or
more under my weight and often when I put my pole on a rock it would sink
up to an inch. Apparently the soil had been saturated and frozen then after
the frost had expanded it the frost melted and sunk into the subsoil but
the earth, gravel and rocks had stayed in their frost heaved position. It
was strange to step on or put my pole on a rock only to have it sink
leaving a rim of soil raised around it.

I ate lunch at a lean-to near the Dam and spent more time taking pictures
then hiked back out by 3PM with it already starting to get dark due to the
heavy overcast combined with the season. A very pleasant and quiet day.

Saunterer