[at-l] Safety training

In a message dated 11/15/2004 9:41:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:
*
*
*
NYS DEC requires chainsaw users to have safety training to do trail work on
state land. No convincing, no exceptions. You want to use a chainsaw, you
have to go through the training and be certified. When I worked for DOL we
hired 135 temporary workers after the Ice Storm of 1998 to do cleanup along
public roadways and in public parks. We conducted training, provided
helmets, chaps, etc.
*
*
*

        OK, but where is the state effort to make sure these new stringent
rules don't interfere with volunteerism and productivity? I see the state making
it difficult for individual volunteers without showing any measures to
compensate for that difficulty. Is it the state's job to just make it more difficult
without recourse? Many people have been clearing the AT with chainsaws since
the Trail began. If the state wants to get involved it should also do so on
the productivity end as well...

*