[at-l] Good light inexpensive sleeping bag for a FT thru-hike

Mara writes......

Higher quality down bags last a lot longer than lower quality.  If you buy a

$150 dollar down bag now, chances are you'll need another quite soon.  If
you buy a $300+ bag, it may last a lot longer than two $150 bags - and
retain more loft for longer duration.

While down fill ratings are somewhat subjective on a company to company
basis, the difference between any 600 fill bag and a 800+ fill bag will play

out in the long run regardless of manufacturer.  The 600 fill bag has more
feathers and will lose its loft much more quickly than the 800 fill bag.

*******    Reply   *******

While your statement below is generally true (in highlights).  Cheap, good
quality down bags can be had by some of the best manufacturers, such as
Mountain Hardwear and especially Marmot.  Working at REI has trained me to
steer clear of the cheapest of the cheapest.  Some of the RE brand bags are
quite good also.  Bag temperature ratings by manufacturer are also slowly
getting more accurate.  REI Testers use a dummy sleeping ON a Therm-A-Rest
in an enclosed chamber (think a cryogenic tube or coffin) with a maintained
internal temp of 98.6 degrees (body temp).  They then lower the temp of the
chamber slowly and read the dummies body temp.  When the body temp goes down
a degree that is the rating of the bag and the test is over for that
particular manufacturers sleeping bag.

Now, how they wind test tents is another story I'll have to tell you when
that discussion comes up.  It's really wild and no other retailer does this,
that we no of.  See you at the PA Ruck.

Oh yeah, I have a 600 fill Marmot semi-rectangular bag (Wasatch) 25 degree
bag that's lasted me three years.  And it's still going strong.  It is
important to take care of the bags, as per the manufacturers specs.  This
particular bag would probably NOT last an entire AT thru-hike but my uses
it's perfect.