[at-l] Bear Repellent

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim and/or Ginny Owen" <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>

> >In the recorded history of the state of New Jersey, there has not been
one
> >instance
> >of an unprovoked bear attacking a human and causing serious injury.
>
> I think it was two (???) years ago on the AT in Shenandoah NP --- a woman
> was attacked (unprovoked) - she didn't survive.  Yeah - by a black bear.

Yes, that's true.  And bear expert Tim Treadwell also became a victim of a
grizzly bear attack not too long ago.

> >Don't believe the myth about never going between a mother bear and her
> >cubs - I've been in that position and I'm obviously here to type this
> >message.
>
> Never tried that with a grizzly, have you?  <VBG>

No, but even though brown bears are more territorial and have less patience,
they are also not the monsters that legend has them to be.

> >The best way to chase them away is to wave your arms above your head and
> >make lots of loud noise.
>
> Do that with a grizzly at close quarters and the operative word becomes
> "bear food."

Luckily there are no grizzlys on the AT.

> >Bears are far more afraid of you than you are of them.
>
> In general, that's true - but don't count on it.  It only takes "one"
that's
> NOT afraid to make you a believer.

Also luckily, aggressive bears are very few and extremely far between.
Again, be more concerned about lightning than the one rogue bear who may be
in a bad mood.

> >For some great information check out the following pages -
> >
> >http://www.bear.org/Black/BB_Home.html
> >

>http://www.savenjbears.com/commentary.html#AFRAID%20OF%20BEARS%20HERES%20WH
Y!

> In general, that's good information.  Just keep in mind that it's slanted
in
> the direction of "bear preservation" and apparently ignores the reality of
> those attacks that have taken place.

Dr. Rogers is a former bear hunter so he's definitely not approaching the
issue from an animal-rights point of view.  His information on bears is
perhaps the most level and unbiased I've seen.

According to Dr. Rogers, only 48 people have been killed by black bears in
North America over the past 100 years, and most occurred in Canada and
Alaska where the bears had little previous contact with people, rather than
in and around established campsites.
(http://www.bear.org/Black/Articles/How_to_Camp_in_Black_Bear_Country.html#d
angerous)

> The most effective "bear repellent" is the human voice.   Talk, sing,
shout
> - whatever takes your fancy - but the human voice will carry further than
> the sound of the bells.  And the sooner you warn Brer Bear that you're
> coming, the sooner he/she can get out of your way.

Exactly.  This is a good tip.

> There are three things you really, REALLY don't want to do with a bear
> (either black or griz) - you don't want to surprise them, you don't want
> get between them and their food source, and you don't want to get between
> Momma and the kids.  I know - Joe thinks that last one doesn't matter
much -
> and that's his choice.

I'm not the only one who thinks this (and yes, I've been in that situation),
the world's foremost expert on black bears thinks it also.

I agree that you don't want to surprise them - no one should spook-out an
animal who could weigh 600 lbs. or more and expect nothing but a laugh.

> Fear is not the appropriate response to bears of any kind - "respect" is.

Said very well.

Peace,
Joe